Guide To Aged Care

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I know if I need to look at moving into care?

The first signs of needing assistance with daily living are when the normal day-to-day tasks have become too difficult to manage without help from others. The best thing to do is discuss it with someone who respects your situation and knows you well. Perhaps this could be a family member, or your local doctor. Another way of ascertaining your needs is to consult with the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). Regardless of your situation you will need an assessment if you wish to go into residential aged care.

Q. What is an assessment?

An assessment is an evaluation by a member of the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) who is a health care professional in the area of senior care. They will visit you and ask you some questions about your life and lifestyle to find the best possible care options for you. If you wish, you may instruct your doctor to provide your medical history to the ACAT representative. These assessments are free.

Q. What if I only need care for a short time?

This is commonly known as respite care, which Allity provides in conjunction with permanent care accommodation. Respite is a period of temporary accommodation in an aged care home, which may be required for a number of reasons.

  • Trying out a home before making a decision to move permanently.
  • A carer or support person might be going away on a holiday or unavailable for a period of time.
  • In emergency situations

Respite needs to be booked well in advance in our Allity homes, so it is best to contact the home of your choice as early as practicable to secure a place.

Q. Are there standards for Aged Care Facilities?

Aged Care Homes are subject to an accreditation process conducted by the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission. The home must pass a series of compulsory checks to operate. They can also be subject to spot checks, a process fully supported by Allity who believe that only services, which consistently meet high quality standards, should be allowed to operate.

Q. What kind of personal care can I expect to receive?

Care is assessed and provided based on the individual needs of each and every resident. Care consultations are conducted with residents and family representatives facilitated by the General Manager and/or Care Manager of the home as the basis for developing a detailed care plan that meets your personal goals, needs and preferences.

Q. What if I have a complaint?

In the first instance, we encourage our residents and families to approach us in person to discuss any feedback, suggestions and complaints in relation to the care and services that we provide. In addition, every one of our Homes have a feedback platform - 'CarePage' that our consumers can use to provide us with feedback and to let us know if you would like to be contacted or alternatively you can remain anonymous.

If you wish, you can also contact the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission on 1800 951 822.